3/12/2005

eye candy for my ears

so, i went to the santa monica courthouse the other day to pick up a transcript. about half way back on my drive to century city i realized that i didn't turn on the radio in my car. i usually drive with the cd player blasting so as to drown out my surroundings, but for some reason i must have been distracted when i started the drive back, because when i got to pico & sepulveda i realized that what i was listening to instead of my own music was the music emanating from other cars on the road around me. in the next lane over, i could hear what sounded like something very instrumental and bauhaus-esque (naturally this is fueled by my being in love with anything peter murphy) and so i thought maybe it might not be so bad mooching sounds off other cars for my drive and i continued eastward. for about 1/4 mile after that it seems i made all the green lights, which normally would be cool but in this instance all i got to listen to was sounds of the road -- brakes squeeking, horns honking, truck engines revving, etc. -- and it left me actually wishing for a red light. ah, reprieve. i hit the red light approaching motor ave in front of the golf course. slowly, someone rolled up next to me and i could hear that the song playing in their car had just begun. the driver looked something reminiscent of david faustino, with cropped hair and wearing oakleys, white shirt and tie. maybe someone who works in a local bank, or office, coming back from their break. the music started out slow and instrumental, like it was building up to the vocals. somehow the song was familiar to me but not enough for me to place it. the cars in front of me moved up a bit and now i was no longer directly next to this car, but i could still kinda hear the music... then POW the song kicked into a higher gear with vocals and allofasudden i realized the driver was belting it out along with the singer, sounding kinda like Freddy Mercury. i craned my head back as far as i could to be able to get a glimpse of him through my side windows and it was awesome - he was so into the song and so uninhibited by his surroundings. the light turned green and i continued eastward, and i never got along side that car again... but i kinda wish i had been able to just to give a thank you smile and nod of approval.

1 Comments:

Blogger Boz said...

Excellent post!!!
Seriously, excellent.

3/12/2005 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home