12/08/2004

the shower is my bell... rinse, swish and spit

becoming cognizant of a patterned behavior is quite a strange feeling - kinda like seeing your reflection for the first time in the mirror and realizing you're blonde when you thought you were a redhead. i just realized that after every shower i instinctively have to brush my teeth. showers are mostly part of my morning routine, and when i'm doing my daily grooming i'm on autopilot and never noticed the pattern (well, really, when am i ever *not* on autopilot? rhetoric, i know). but tonight, i came home from work and took a long hot shower to relax. and as i was getting dressed and ready to comb my wet hair, standing at the basin i instinctively reached for the toothbrush and i started brushing -- it was not until i was halfway done with my brushing routine (yes 'routine'... i'm a control freak and if you didn't know that by now you're blind) that i realized there was no real need to brush at that moment as i had not eaten dinner yet (in fact pizza was on the way and would be at the door in a few minutes) and i still had an opened diet rockstar on the counter just waiting to be consumed. despite being mildly amused at the pavlovian nature of my behavior, i'm dreading the fact that neither of my dinner items are going to taste especially good with the lingering minty freshness i've got going on right now. (and, in proofing this post, i realized how much it reminded me of something i might have read in the past on everything sucks... ah, sweet sweet jaded memories)

2 Comments:

Blogger Boz said...

Hey, I just remembered, I have a diet rockst*r in the fridge, maybe after my nightly one am counting of the ceiling tiles I'll drink it.

12/08/2004 10:09 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Routine isn't always a bad thing. It's comfortable and time saving. You just got to know when to break out of the routine.

12/09/2004 1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home